Monday, February 1, 2010

Hello. My Name is Martha

You know, I've always looked down on Martha.

You know...Mary's sister.

See, Mary was the good one. The one who wanted to listen to Jesus. Martha was too wrapped up in her little world of cooking, entertaining, and preparing the house that she wouldn't take the time out to spend some time with the Lord. What was she, stupid?

This is how the Message tells the story (Luke 10:38-42)

As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. "Master, don't you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand."

The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it's the main course, and won't be taken from her."

Seriously...who would spend time in the kitchen when JESUS HIMSELF sat in the next room speaking?

Obviously, I would.

Martha was loved by Jesus. She obviously had a good heart. She obviously had a servant's heart with good intentions. But oh, how her intentions were her focus rather than the Master.

I've decided that as disgusted with Martha as I once was, I'm actually a lot like her. It's like realizing that you grew up to be just like your mother (which in the end, isn't so bad, you know?).

You see, too often I realize that I hustle and bustle around in the morning to get ready for the day and have everything in order for the kids that I walk out the door before realizing that I haven't read my Bible.

I'm too busy with busywork that I neglect to spend time with the Lord when He is near and wanting to teach me.

I. Am. Martha.

Nice to meet you.

I'm trying to work on my Mary-ness though. Twice this week I have been THIS CLOSE to being late for work because now I read my Bible before doing some of the things that I MUST do before leaving in the morning (like getting dressed). And I have vowed not to rush through it.

I'm making an effort to spend time with my Lord, because it is essential. And I'm choosing it.

No comments: